In the spirit of fun and games, here is my Thanksgiving Random Dozen. Wanna play? Answer the questions on your blog and link you answers here. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous? I am trying a new tradition..going to my brother & sister-in-law's home. We'll see how close they stick to tradition...I don't think they will stray too far.
2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.") I am thankful for my husband and two sons. They are the bright lights in my life.
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for. The ability to change.
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory. One year (when I probably around 8 or 9, my dad and oldest brother had a turkey eating contest...who could eat the most? I don't remember who won but I do recall it got very competitive.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year? Easy...overeating.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs? I have cats and fish...so not so much sharing of table scraps.
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying? Yes, holding hands, sometimes standing if it's a large group, seated if it's just the four of us. Who speaks depends on who is present. If it's just the four of us, we all repeat our family prayer together and then add our individual words of thanks at the end.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing? I am sure there will be football on a TV somewhere around me...but I likely won't be paying much attention to it.
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing? That is so wrong...I can't begin to tell you all the ways it is wrong!
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving? Absolutely...just read 2 very detailed books with my boys. I can spout details about the Wampanoag, Samoset, Squanto, Myles Standish, John Alden...should I stop now?
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying? All of the pies...but must agree with Joyce about angel pie...for those who have never had this delicacy, you have no idea that your meal really has never been complete.
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen.) I used to...I was vegetarian for 10 years...but tofurkey just doesn't quite do it like a real bird can! Bring on the bird!